Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Through constant feedback and discussion, GoldPRO settings for Halo Reach continuously strive to find the best settings possible for the competitive Halo community. V2 Out Now.

+16
Masti101
Sebastian
DaRkPaToU
aNesthet1K
Shinetushiny
Kurtiz
DuckTape4Ever
Sultxn
weezing
TheTrueHaloMaster
Vergil
bunniesz23
Fritzster
Chef Linguini
Rev
Yoseph
20 posters

Official Gold Pro Discussion

Yoseph
    Admin

Official Gold Pro Discussion Empty Official Gold Pro Discussion

Post  Yoseph Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:48 pm

Have a suggestion, complaint, idea, or just want to say you appreciate what Gold Pro sets out to do. Anything related to Gold Pro is on the table here.
    Rev
    Rev

Official Gold Pro Discussion Empty Re: Official Gold Pro Discussion

Post  Rev Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:06 pm

For the offical maps threads, pictures and information should be given for each map. Also, a thread should be made in the Gamebattles forums
    Chef Linguini
    Chef Linguini
    Admin

Post  Chef Linguini Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:10 pm

Rev wrote:For the offical maps threads, pictures and information should be given for each map. Also, a thread should be made in the Gamebattles forums

Yes, there should be pics and a thread. We'll address these issues asap. Thanks for your input.
    Fritzster
    Fritzster
    Admin

Post  Fritzster Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:41 pm

Chef Linguini wrote:
    Rev wrote:For the offical maps threads, pictures and information should be given for each map. Also, a thread should be made in the Gamebattles forums

Yes, there should be pics and a thread. We'll address these issues asap. Thanks for your input.

Offer as much insight as compact as possible to inspire new discussion. Keep the creators of gametypes/maps for collaboration front and center to move the gametypes forward. Since there is no political barrier here who knows 343i might catch on when you post this on their site and, it could possibly be in some MM hoppers MLG or not. Official Gold Pro Discussion Giraffesmiley
    Rev
    Rev

Post  Rev Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:32 pm

I posted in the GB halo section!

How does GoldPro plan on selecting maps and gametypes?
    Democracy?(What percentage needs to be obtained)
    bunniesz23

Post  bunniesz23 Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:43 pm

Rev wrote:I posted in the GB halo section!

Good question. I would think a 51% vote for the very first set of polls, then a 60% vote for changes after that. The initial 51% would be for if the v1 gametypes misread the community and made a change that wasn't what the community actually wants.

I think this would have went a little better if you guys waited until you had a good set of voting results before you made the initial settings. People could easily be put off by the initial settings if they don't like something, and then they you wouldn't have their input for future settings. That would end up making this representative of a small portion of the community instead of the community as a whole, which seems to be the intent.

Also, what was the talk of a comittee about?
    Vergil

Post  Vergil Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:36 pm

I really appreciate what you guys are attempting to do for the community here. I want to help in whatever way I can.

Hit me up THE VERGlL is the GT
    TheTrueHaloMaster
    Admin

Post  TheTrueHaloMaster Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:08 am

bunniesz23 wrote:
    Rev wrote:I posted in the GB halo section!

Good question. I would think a 51% vote for the very first set of polls, then a 60% vote for changes after that. The initial 51% would be for if the v1 gametypes misread the community and made a change that wasn't what the community actually wants.

I think this would have went a little better if you guys waited until you had a good set of voting results before you made the initial settings. People could easily be put off by the initial settings if they don't like something, and then they you wouldn't have their input for future settings. That would end up making this representative of a small portion of the community instead of the community as a whole, which seems to be the intent.

Also, what was the talk of a comittee about?

GoldPRO really is tailored for the community to get what it wants. There is a map submissions section and a unofficial maps section where maps that pass the test can get exposed and tested. It will be a great medium, for example, for forgers to get their maps feedback and exposure to the entire community.

So, yes, decisions will come down to the community and we will start putting up polls for v2. Bunnies, I completely understand where you were coming from and we really did talk about this. We felt that we need to push forward at least something that is substantial and incorporates what the vocal majority of people feel about Halo Reach settings.

The comittee thing is just if you want to take a more active, administrative role as far as these gametypes are concerned. Just help out with organization, flow of ideas, executive stuff, and just direct the community as a whole.
    Thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming.
    weezing
    weezing

Post  weezing Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:16 pm

It's THRASHHHv2 from MLG forums. I'll start with I really like what you guys are doing.

I just have a suggestion for the CEA maps. Solid forge remakes already exist for Dammy, Battle/Beaver Creek, and Prisoner. Why not get some testing on these done before release and get a head start?
    TheTrueHaloMaster
    Admin

Post  TheTrueHaloMaster Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:38 pm

weezing wrote:It's THRASHHHv2 from MLG forums. I'll start with I really like what you guys are doing.

I just have a suggestion for the CEA maps. Solid forge remakes already exist for Dammy, Battle/Beaver Creek, and Prisoner. Why not get some testing on these done before release and get a head start?

We actually have an excellent forged Dammy that honestly might just be better than the disc one. Doing a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff. Since things just started, we'll let it cool down and solidify for a couple days, then we'll start churning out future v2 changes and put up some polls for people to vote on things. Just need to get more organized and such.

thanks.
    Sultxn
    Sultxn

Post  Sultxn Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:50 pm

Well guys, I'm really glad that there are people like you who are making some well-thought-out decisions with regards to settings. I've seen the logic in pretty much all of your posts in the MLG forums, and your arguments are respectful and concise. It is for these reasons that I'm on board.
    Sultxn
    Sultxn

Post  Sultxn Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:00 pm

One of the only things I'm not really sure on is the gravity setting. I just haven't been convinced that upping the gravity has any effect on the strafe. Has anyone tested the highest gravity setting side-by-side with the lowest gravity setting? You could probably do this by making a custom powerup that gives you low gravity, inside of a game with high gravity. This is all really not that important, and is more of a grey area for me.

I DO really like the increased jump height we have though with v1 settings. It makes a bunch of jumps on Sanctuary much better.
    -Jump-up rock by ring structure is cleaner, with less chance of getting toes caught on rock edge
    -Can jump up onto the really tall rock
    -Can more consistently get from jump-up rock to the new raised car

Not to mention a higher jump height helps with the risk/reward of jumping.
    -Risk: Easy target. Not able to strafe. The longer the hangtime, the bigger the disadvantage.
    -Reward: Avoiding nades. Avoiding final headshot. Map movement options.

The higher jump height really helps to fill in for the sprint ability in some ways, because your ability to move around the map is basically buffed a little.
    Chef Linguini
    Chef Linguini
    Admin

Post  Chef Linguini Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:03 pm

Sultxn wrote:Well guys, I'm really glad that there are people like you who are making some well-thought-out decisions with regards to settings. I've seen the logic in pretty much all of your posts in the MLG forums, and your arguments are respectful and concise. It is for these reasons that I'm on board.

Thanks, welcome to the forums. Any logic you fail to see please point out. Smile
    DuckTape4Ever
    DuckTape4Ever

Post  DuckTape4Ever Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:39 pm

I am gonna post my take on 4sk here, go to Official Reach Discussion thread if you want background info or want to join the convo there.

To all you people who think less shot to kill=higher skill gap, why don't we all play swat? And if positioning is so important why dont we all camp?

Because there is a certain balance between the importance of positioning and aiming. And please dont tell me all pro's have amazing aim, otherwise there would be no crazy out dmr/br's during pro games. They all have good aim but not amazing aim. There is a gap between ogre 2's aiming and roy's aiming, not a huge difference but one nevertheless. To me the only difference between 5sk to 4sk, other than obj games, is the de-emphasis on strafing.

I believe that 4sk can be achieved at such a rate that strafing is ineffective. I can't count the amount of times I have traded kills with a inferior or superior player because we could only pull 2 stride of movement before we died. The hit boxes are too big for four shot because you have a lot less time to strafe/avoid there shots.4 shot gives you 20% less time to strafe thus meaning a higher chance of shots landing due to the fact a moving target is harder to hit than a stationary one. This makes the aiming skill gap much closer than with 5sk. Positioning in both are relatively close in terms of setups, 99% of places of where you can kill someone before they run away will work with a 5sk. The only difference is on 4sk there is much more emphasis on cover.

Tbh I was in favour of 4 shot before, but after playing objective and about 50 more slayer games I realized its faults.Running the flag with 4 shot kill is brutal. Out of my 10 flag games yesterday no one scored until 5 mins left in overtime. 4sk destroys objective games IMO and is pretty bad with the maps we have.

EDIT:Btw you guys gotta let us post links lol. Anyway is there a date of when we vote on the settings? How is the vote counted?
    Chef Linguini
    Chef Linguini
    Admin

Post  Chef Linguini Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:12 pm

Hey Ducktape^

Thanks for your feedback man. Much appreciated. Even if you were a little sarcastic for a moment. Razz

I'd have to disagree with you though, for the time being at least. The way I see it, 4sk is the better option. While there are some negatives (and you listed them succinctly), the pros outweigh the cons.

Awareness, position, and individual skill are brought to the forefront. Teamshot steps back (a little, teamshot is of course still vital.)

We do need some testing though. I would love to see pros play these settings, and see if they break at the top level.

EDIT: @your edit: I believe you should be able to post links 7 days after registration. Lmk if not, and I'll check out the forum settings. And to answer your other question, idk tbh Razz I'll ask.
    Kurtiz
    Kurtiz
    Admin

Post  Kurtiz Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:38 pm

One thing we have to keep in mind is the skill difference between a well-practiced team, and a bunch of randoms testing some settings.

Almost all 'random' customs I play on current MLG settings, no one scores 'til the last few minutes. Sometimes flag games go for 10minutes before a flag is even pulled just because of how unorganized and unfocused both of the teams are. I can assure you that teams well-practiced on these settings wouldn't have any more trouble capping flags against each other than they do now with current MLG settings.

True testing and evaluation of anything takes time. We cannot rush into conclusions when it comes to things like this as players are still learning the ins and outs of these settings.
    Keep playing and keep giving feedback though, it is all muchly appreciated and is all taken into consideration.
    Fritzster
    Fritzster
    Admin

Post  Fritzster Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:49 am

Kurtiz wrote:One thing we have to keep in mind is the skill difference between a well-practiced team, and a bunch of randoms testing some settings.

Almost all 'random' customs I play on current MLG settings, no one scores 'til the last few minutes. Sometimes flag games go for 10minutes before a flag is even pulled just because of how unorganized and unfocused both of the teams are. I can assure you that teams well-practiced on these settings wouldn't have any more trouble capping flags against each other than they do now with current MLG settings.

True testing and evaluation of anything takes time. We cannot rush into conclusions when it comes to things like this as players are still learning the ins and outs of these settings.
    Keep playing and keep giving feedback though, it is all muchly appreciated and is all taken into consideration.

Back in Halo 3 KC and I chatted about a standard 20 games minimum on a single gametype before moving them from the chopping block to the recycle bin. With that said yes it does take time to see the qualities of every single iteration of gametypes (map+gametype) (peanut butter+jelly) when advancing an official lineup. Very important we recognize this and have proof of concept at hand, literally show why some things don't work and add counters with solutions and positive outlook with room for improvement. There should be no dictating with this afro
    Shinetushiny

Post  Shinetushiny Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:08 am

Id like to see 5sk settings along with the 4sk.
    aNesthet1K

Post  aNesthet1K Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:12 pm

So, this could be the Vicodin talking (outpatient surgery today Crying or Very sad ) but what about changing the pit?

Right now, I honestly think a path below green and long would be pretty sweet. More like in the middle of the two. That entire side of the map is overshadowed by training side, and I feel adding another pathway would help balance that side. Maybe throw a grenade launcher in it, which I think could be a very useful weapon for holding that side of the map, seeing as the pathways are more narrow.

Thoughts?
    Rev
    Rev

Post  Rev Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:46 pm

aNesthet1K wrote:So, this could be the Vicodin talking (outpatient surgery today Crying or Very sad ) but what about changing the pit?

Right now, I honestly think a path below green and long would be pretty sweet. More like in the middle of the two. That entire side of the map is overshadowed by training side, and I feel adding another pathway would help balance that side. Maybe throw a grenade launcher in it, which I think could be a very useful weapon for holding that side of the map, seeing as the pathways are more narrow.

Thoughts?

Or above somehow i feel like the pit can be saved.
    Kurtiz
    Kurtiz
    Admin

Post  Kurtiz Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:18 pm

To be honest guys, a lot of the forge maps are going to be placeholders until CEA drops. We will definitely be looking into using Beaver Creek and Damnation, and trying hard to make Prisoner and Hang em high work too.

We still encourage forge maps, because anything can happen. But for now I would just wait til CEA before worrying too much about the forged ones.

The main thing right now is getting the settings sussed out.
    1) 4sk or 5sk? It looks like we may have to change to 5sk judging by the responses so far
    2) Flaming feet on OS? A lot of people seem to dislike the 'invisible' OS
    3) Lower gravity? A few people have said they dislike the high gravity, and that it doesnt even effect strafing. We will have to do more tests to determine if it really does help strafing or not.
    DaRkPaToU
    DaRkPaToU

Post  DaRkPaToU Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:31 pm

I think the 4SK/5SK vote in the MLG forums would be a lot closer if everybody had tested out the Gold Pro Settings for at least 5 games...
    Kurtiz
    Kurtiz
    Admin

Post  Kurtiz Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Thats why we need gameplays STAT!

Not everyone can playtest settings, and not everyone wants to, but everyone can click play on an embeded video.
    Sebastian
    Sebastian

Post  Sebastian Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Word on the street is that Prisoner plays realllly well with ZB. Perhaps it will work more easily than we originally thought.

BC and Damnation are autobids. That would give us some really solid gametypes:

1. Countdown TS
    2. Countdown CTF
    3. Beaver Creek TS
    4. Beaver Creek CTF
    5. Damnation TS
    6. Prisoner TS
    7. Sanctuary TS
    8. Sanctuary CTF

I think we could also hope to see some promise in:
    9. Damnation Ball or KoTH
    10. Prisoner Ball

Round it off with some great forged gametypes, starting with:
    11. Oasis KoTH

but also including other maps like Oversoul, Retro, and (sigh) The Pit that are subject to replace the weakest of those first 11.

High hopes Smile

Kurtiz
    Kurtiz
    Admin

Post  Kurtiz Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:18 pm

Word on the street? where did you hear that?

I think Zealot will have to stay just because of its popularity with MLG and its players. It along with Countdown and Sanc are the only 3 maps that have been consistent from throughout all of MLG's settings...I just don't see it getting removed that easily, specially considering its one of the only decent symmetrical disk maps we have.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:16 am