Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Through constant feedback and discussion, GoldPRO settings for Halo Reach continuously strive to find the best settings possible for the competitive Halo community. V2 Out Now.

+16
Masti101
Sebastian
DaRkPaToU
aNesthet1K
Shinetushiny
Kurtiz
DuckTape4Ever
Sultxn
weezing
TheTrueHaloMaster
Vergil
bunniesz23
Fritzster
Chef Linguini
Rev
Yoseph
20 posters

Official Gold Pro Discussion

Kurtiz
    Admin

Official Gold Pro Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Official Gold Pro Discussion

Post  Kurtiz Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:18 pm

Word on the street? where did you hear that?

I think Zealot will have to stay just because of its popularity with MLG and its players. It along with Countdown and Sanc are the only 3 maps that have been consistent from throughout all of MLG's settings...I just don't see it getting removed that easily, specially considering its one of the only decent symmetrical disk maps we have.
    aNesthet1K

Post  aNesthet1K Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:26 am

Don't switch to 5sk just yet. Give it time. This needs to be THOROUGHLY tested first. Not for a few days, but a few weeks. Let everyone play on 4sk for a long time, change their playstyles to better suit the pace of game (or atleast try to), etc. If you just jump ship now, we'll never have the chance to go back because people will be too ignorant on the subject.

We have a few months before we need to have the project anywhere near finalized. Keep the 4sk and keep working on testing maps. In a few weeks, once everyone is adjusted to 4sk, take the poll again.

Also, keep in mind that the polling size is ridiculously small at the moment. The number of votes in comparison to the number of people that have actually spent quality time playing GP settings... no. Absolutely not. So many votes are being cast by people who have never played and are simply being ignorant to change.

For the next poll, we need an actual voting system. A poll on the MLG forums simply isn't going to cut it. We should not take into consideration the opinions of people who have never played the settings and/or not spent a reasonable amount of time playtesting.

Yoseph
    Admin

Post  Yoseph Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:35 pm

my support of 4sk has not waivered. I will continue to work on and balnce maps/gametypes for 4sk until there is no longer a need for it. For the record, that's like batman saying he'll stop being batman when gotham doesn't need him anymore ; )
    Masti101

Post  Masti101 Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:11 pm

OS is crazy with 5 seconds. Especially in maps like Zealot and Nexux, I got OS and killed 3 enemies and took the flag and scored.

To simple
    Chef Linguini
    Chef Linguini
    Admin

Post  Chef Linguini Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:15 pm

Masti101 wrote:OS is crazy with 5 seconds. Especially in maps like Zealot and Nexux, I got OS and killed 3 enemies and took the flag and scored.

To simple

What do you think about a custom OS that gives you 1 extra layer of shields with 3 seconds of invulnerability? This OS would probably spawn every minute because it's less powerful.
    Fritzster
    Fritzster
    Admin

Post  Fritzster Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:55 pm

Kurtiz wrote:To be honest guys, a lot of the forge maps are going to be placeholders until CEA drops. We will definitely be looking into using Beaver Creek and Damnation, and trying hard to make Prisoner and Hang em high work too.

We still encourage forge maps, because anything can happen. But for now I would just wait til CEA before worrying too much about the forged ones.

The main thing right now is getting the settings sussed out.
    1) 4sk or 5sk? It looks like we may have to change to 5sk judging by the responses so far
    2) Flaming feet on OS? A lot of people seem to dislike the 'invisible' OS
    3) Lower gravity? A few people have said they dislike the high gravity, and that it doesnt even effect strafing. We will have to do more tests to determine if it really does help strafing or not.

In reality forge maps have to play better than Bungie/343i reach engine maps. Disk/DLC also look better, which doesn't hold much weight, but still holds weight for the decision.

• 4sk give more time to see the flaws.
    • I'd say yes to flaming feet for now, I haven't come across a clean argument against it. It was said that it causes frame-rate drops, but has yet to be proven.
    • keep 200 for now. The original argument was for jet pack, but has proven 200g doesn't effect it as much as people say it does. Players aren't going to be floating 100 feet up like you see in regular MM, but rather smarter choices like taking a shortcut on map design from level 1 ledge to level 2 ledge.
    DaRkPaToU
    DaRkPaToU

Post  DaRkPaToU Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:04 pm

Can all the maps that people like to test with the GoldPro settings ( like the remakes of Prisoner, Damnation, Midship, Perplex, Oversoul etc) please be hosted in file shares, i've notice that Chef Linguini has a few of them...
    Masti101

Post  Masti101 Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:40 pm

I think 3 seconds invul. and 1 minute spawns might work.

Yoseph
    Admin

Post  Yoseph Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:16 pm

Masti101 wrote:OS is crazy with 5 seconds. Especially in maps like Zealot and Nexux, I got OS and killed 3 enemies and took the flag and scored.

To simple
    I think you're confused, that sounds awesome to me, we empowered the individual to make plays. There is no doubt that the other team could have played differently to counter you but they didn't and you capitalized with your powerup.

Now if every OS spawn coincided with a flag cap every time that would likely be a problem as the powerup sounds like it can't be overcome. But I know from personal experience that it can, it's not even that hard to do, it just takes a hint of teamwork or a bit of a choke from OS guy and everyone is on a level playing field again.

Being powerful = good thing = what I thought the philosophy of GoldPRO was
    aPK
    aPK

Post  aPK Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:37 pm

Yoseph wrote:

To simple
    I think you're confused, that sounds awesome to me, we empowered the individual to make plays. There is no doubt that the other team could have played differently to counter you but they didn't and you capitalized with your powerup.

Now if every OS spawn coincided with a flag cap every time that would likely be a problem as the powerup sounds like it can't be overcome. But I know from personal experience that it can, it's not even that hard to do, it just takes a hint of teamwork or a bit of a choke from OS guy and everyone is on a level playing field again.

Being powerful = good thing = what I thought the philosophy of GoldPRO was
    Just because it "empowered the individual", it does not mean it did it in a healthy and competitive manner. You know what else empowers individuals? Energy Swords, Gravity Hammers, Magnums, Concussion Rifles, etc. Although these examples empower the individual, it does not mean it is good for the game in any stretch of the imagination.

Invincibility does not empower the individual in a healthy and competitive manner. It never has, and never will in any FPS as long as that invincibility can not be countered. Once you understand that fact, you will understand that the OS that GoldPro settings currently is not good for gameplay, and that there are more efficient and sensible ways to create an important Custom Powerup.
    Kurtiz
    Kurtiz
    Admin

Post  Kurtiz Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:01 pm

1) 4sk vs 5sk, we still need videos of both. Because I live in NZ it is hard for me to get on at the same time as you guys in the states (also its pretty freakn laggy lol)m that means I can't really do much testing of these settings. No one I know in NZ is really keen to try these settings out, so I am limited here.
    We need good 4sk gameplays to advertise it. So get going guys!

2) I think the 300% OS is the best compromise. Its strong, not as burnable as a 3layer OS with no invincibility, and its not OP like the invincibility. It can also have forced color instead of nothing/flaming feet, and will be more widely accepted because the same idea is already in MLG.

3)I think gravity needs to stay high because of fall damage, I think we are in the sweet spot for movement settings for sure. I was playing on a Damnation remake the other day and we were talking about the problem of people being able to jump from the top sniper, down to OS without dying. In CE that wasn't an option, the only way to bail from that high ledge was to land ON OS. In normal grav settings, you can jump off and take about 90% shield damage, which isnt all that punishing. On 200% your shields get removed and you take about 3-4 bars of health damage as well...still not as good as dying, but you are left pretty mangled, which is good.
    Yoseph
    Admin

Post  Yoseph Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:51 pm

So, I spent hours last night playing v2 settings and I want everyone to know, I wasn't that crazy about v1. I feel it left a lot to be desired as the gameplay often slowed down due to the slow weapon/powerup timers and fast kill times. This has been addressed in v2 and it is AMAZING. The base player traits are as good as ever, trans-versing the environment with the speed, strafe, jump, and killing with 4sk. It all feels as right as Reach can feel. Skillful and fun, I am loving it. I think base player traits are perfect for what we have right down to shield recharge rate.

On maps, I look forward to phasing CEA maps in and forge maps out. I think one or two forge maps(especially with news that Timberlands and Hang Em High both feature a full Forge World pallate) will always have a place in MLG and an infinite amount to be acclimated to GoldPRO, but origninal Developer created maps are always better. That said I look forward to newly forged versions of Lockout, Derelict, Sanctuary, and The Pit along with more.
    Smacky_Smacky

Post  Smacky_Smacky Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:14 pm

I would say stick with 4sk at least until the end of the month and then make a decision with regards to its use. Make sure people know in the MLG forums that it is the topic that you are focusing hardest on and just keep pushing it until you get enough feedback regarding 4sk or 5sk. Don't have a poll. Polls are dumb. Have people, in the forums, describe what they like and dislike about both settings.
    AkaDemiK
    AkaDemiK

Post  AkaDemiK Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Hey guys, Keep up the good work. I had an idea for a single weapon/powerup layout for countdown.

Countdown CTF/Slayer:

Sniper at Big Door

Rockets Balcony

OS at S2

What do you guys think?
    Jay

Post  Jay Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:42 pm

Which one does the Pit use? 3/5 Flag on GP settings? 5 I'm guessing.
    Kurtiz
    Kurtiz
    Admin

Post  Kurtiz Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:02 pm

AkaDemiK wrote:Hey guys, Keep up the good work. I had an idea for a single weapon/powerup layout for countdown.

Countdown CTF/Slayer:

Sniper at Big Door

Rockets Balcony

OS at S2

What do you guys think?

Countdown needs two weapon sets because of how each gametype plays:

TS is all about camping vents and level 3 control, where CTF is more about S2 and level 2 control.
    Therefore weapons for TS need to be placed to work with level 3 control and camping, and for CTF it needs to work with level 2.

My idea for TS is this:
    Camo outside, used to attack teams camping vents/streets/attics
    Rockets at garage to give players in control an advantage, but they have to drop out of position to attain it.
    Sniper at S2 to combat Rockets, mainly just because this layout works so well during the start spawn, and again because it is on the 2nd level, it pulls people off the top (you want to utilize as much as the map as possible).

For CTF:
    OS on catwalk, this is to pull people up off the 2nd level and actually give a strong advantage to those using the top level. The top level is good in CTF but can be limited due to poor LOS to most level 2 areas which means its often pointless to go up there.
    Rockets outside to pull people out of the 'guts' of the map (level 2/S2/in bases). Without rockets spawning outside, there is little point to going out there except for a flank here and there, the whole set up for rockets can pull heaps of people out and can cause a dilemma; go for rockets or stop the flag runner? It already works very well for this gametype so no need to change.
    Sniper S2, just for the sake of keeping at least 1 item uniform. And garage gets enough movement anyway.

@Jay, yeah just use 5...pit wont be around for much longer anyway.
    Yoseph
    Admin

Post  Yoseph Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:25 am

Kurtiz wrote:
    AkaDemiK wrote:Hey guys, Keep up the good work. I had an idea for a single weapon/powerup layout for countdown.

Countdown CTF/Slayer:

Sniper at Big Door

Rockets Balcony

OS at S2

What do you guys think?

Countdown needs two weapon sets because of how each gametype plays:

TS is all about camping vents and level 3 control, where CTF is more about S2 and level 2 control.
    Therefore weapons for TS need to be placed to work with level 3 control and camping, and for CTF it needs to work with level 2.

My idea for TS is this:
    Camo outside, used to attack teams camping vents/streets/attics
    Rockets at garage to give players in control an advantage, but they have to drop out of position to attain it.
    Sniper at S2 to combat Rockets, mainly just because this layout works so well during the start spawn, and again because it is on the 2nd level, it pulls people off the top (you want to utilize as much as the map as possible).

For CTF:
    OS on catwalk, this is to pull people up off the 2nd level and actually give a strong advantage to those using the top level. The top level is good in CTF but can be limited due to poor LOS to most level 2 areas which means its often pointless to go up there.
    Rockets outside to pull people out of the 'guts' of the map (level 2/S2/in bases). Without rockets spawning outside, there is little point to going out there except for a flank here and there, the whole set up for rockets can pull heaps of people out and can cause a dilemma; go for rockets or stop the flag runner? It already works very well for this gametype so no need to change.
    Sniper S2, just for the sake of keeping at least 1 item uniform. And garage gets enough movement anyway.

@Jay, yeah just use 5...pit wont be around for much longer anyway.
    Yeah, I really wanted to unify Cdown with one layout but what we have works and it's not necessary to change it. There are bigger fish to fry(so to speak, lol)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 9:39 am